Talk at the 10th Code for Osaka meeting

In the past, I joined meetings of Code for Osaka
and Code for Nara. In Nara, I was a facilitator in
a workshop organized by Code for Nara. Code for
XXX is regional-based participatory community to
solve various regional issues with ICT, i.e. Civic
Technology. In Japan, for instance, some groups
work with local governments to use open data
more effectively. One of the issues is education.
In the past many speakers talked about education.



On 22 February, I presented learning portfolio on the
occasion of the 10th Code for Osaka meeting. It was
the second time for my presentation. Approximately
50 people came and listened to speakers’ presentations.
Some were city councilors from Osaka city and outskirt
of Osaka city. The meeting was commenced with toasting
drinking. (This style released pressure from all participants.)

After 2 speakers, my presentation began.  I did not prepare but initially I did self-introduction briefly.  I am not a IT person,
but most participants are from IT industry. Despite the fact that
I was a system engineer and programmer long time ago, I am
not involved in IT industry. What I remember is that I made
some computer programmes with IBM RPG on AS/400 at that time. I forgot many things related to ICT. 

Nowadays programming on computer seems booming in Japan.  The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology decided computer programming will be a compulsory subject at primary schools in 2020.  The 2 speakers before me explained current status of programming education in Osaka city and programming education as after school activity. 
What I presented is not related to programming on computer but e-portfolio as learning tool to practice active learning. 

Initially I explain PBL approaches. Most participants already knew what active learning was. Then I talked about ICT use in active learning. Probably ICT is quite significant tools for active learning. Then I introduced some e-portfolio management systems, e.g. Mahara, Sakai/OSP, manaba, etc.

Then I explained chronological order for use. After my presentation, no one raised hand.  I wonder if it was not interesting for all participants. MC asked me about connectivity for programming.  Frankly I did not expect this question, but I think e-portfolio can be useful to record logs of programmes. Then another participant’s comment was that functions of e-portfolio was not clear.  Due to short presentation time, I talked about e-portfolio quite briefly.  In particular, most firms focus on the result. For students, it does not matter if s/he fails or succeeds. The  processes are as important as results. Results are only snap shots. At university we need to pay attention to contexts.



Finally one participant also came and talked to me. He said
It was necessary to understand from companies who hire students.
It is necessary to analyse stakeholders. 


Comments and dialogs are important for my reflection.   

Popular posts from this blog

国際会議と論文(メモ)

UX Kansai「よいサービス・製品のための、UXデザインの考え方」、ラーニングバー & UX Kansai セミナー

Google Scholarを使った文献調査(英語)